EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND
Arbitration, Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Eliseo Castineira specialises in arbitration. Eliseo Castineira’s arbitration and dispute resolution experience includes:
- Regularly acting as counsel and arbitrator (sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator, chairman) in ad hoc (including UNCITRAL) and institutional (including ICC, AFA, CAIP, CAM, CCJA, CMAP, DIS, GMAA, SCC) proceedings (ca. 50 cases as arbitrator).
- Acting as a consultant for the Council of Europe to advise governments on arbitration practice and reform.
- Acting as a consultant with the ICC International Centre for Expertise for ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) in Expert Determination proceedings under the New gTLD (“generic Top-Level Domain Names”) Dispute Resolution Procedure/ICC Expertise Rules (2013-2014).
- Dealing with state court proceedings in connection with arbitration proceedings (interim measures, challenge and enforcement of awards).
- Serving as Counsel at the Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration where he headed the group in charge more particularly of cases in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (2003-2009). This role involved (i) the case management of approximately 1,000 ICC arbitration proceedings and the scrutiny of approximately 500 ICC awards, (ii) dealing with almost all possible procedural situations, many subject matters, economic sectors and jurisdictions as well as (iii) close working relationships with many arbitrators and arbitration practitioners (party’s counsel, in-house counsel, ICC Court members) worldwide.
- Association Française d’Arbitrage (Paris, France): member of the Board of Directors and of the Arbitration Committee (five-member committee in charge of supervising proceedings under the AFA Arbitration Rules and, inter alia, of appointing arbitrators and scrutinising awards rendered pursuant to the AFA Rules)
- Belgian Centre for Mediation and Arbitration (CEPANI) (Brussels, Belgium)
- Cámara Nacional de Comercio de la Ciudad de México (CANACO) (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Centro de Arbitraje de la Industria de la Construcción (CAIC) (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Chambre Franco-Allemande de Commerce et d’Industrie (Paris, France)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London, U.K.)
- Club Español de Arbitraje (Madrid, Spain)
- Corte de Arbitraje de Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
- Cour Commune de Justice et d’Arbitrage of the Organisation pour l’Harmonisation en Afrique du Droit des Affaires (OHADA) (Abidjan, Ivory Coast)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (Hong Kong, China)
- International Chamber of Commerce (Paris, France) (ICC Commission on Arbitration, ICC France, ICC Latin American Arbitration Group)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) (New York City, N.Y., U.S.A.)
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA) (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Lewiatan Court of Arbitration (Warsaw, Poland)
- London Court of International Arbitration (London, U.K.) (LCIA European Users’ Council)
- Vienna International Arbitral Centre (Vienna, Austria)
Eliseo Castineira’s arbitration experience encompasses a broad range of disputes (including those concerning sales of goods, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, distribution and agency, as well as defective design and delay) in many economic sectors (including construction and engineering, natural resources, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications). Mr Castineira has also dealt with disputes involving not only businesses, but also states and state-owned entities.
Corporate and Commercial
Eliseo Castineira also advises on transactions involving construction, corporate and commercial law matters.
Prior to setting up his own independent arbitration practice in 2010 and in addition to his arbitration experience, Eliseo Castineira was an attorney with Andersen Legal (1996-2001) and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (2001-2002) where he negotiated and drafted numerous agreements in corporate (mergers and acquisitions, group reorganisations, joint ventures) and commercial (international distribution and sales) matters as well as construction matters.
Eliseo Castineira also acted as in-house counsel as part of a secondment to a Fortune 500 company to coordinate a major reorganisation.
Eliseo Castineira is a graduate of the University of Paris (Maîtrise de Droit des Affaires (Master of Laws) and Diplôme d’Études Juridiques Appliquées en Droit Anglo-Américain (Degree in Anglo-American Law)) (1994) and New York University School of Law (Master of Laws) (1995).
Eliseo Castineira is fluent in French, English and Spanish, has working knowledge of Portuguese and good knowledge of German.
LECTURES AND PUBLICATIONS
Eliseo Castineira has lectured in English, French and Spanish on international arbitration at various universities, including University of Paris II-Assas, Paris, France (2003-2009, 2012), University of Versailles, Saint-Quentin, France (2006-2008), Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada (2006-2010) and University of Monterrey, Monterrey, Mexico (2011).
Eliseo Castineira has published various articles on international arbitration in English, French and Spanish and has spoken at numerous conferences, seminars and courses on international arbitration throughout the world. Mr Castineira has also trained judges and in-house counsel in international arbitration.
Acknowledged as one of the 50 best arbitrators in France by Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit (2014-2021).
Recommended in “France – Best Arbitrators” by Leaders League, Intelligence Report & Directory Series – Litigation and International Arbitration (2017–2021 – “highly recommended” as one of the top 35 arbitrators in France).
Acknowledged as one of the top 20 arbitrators in matters involving Africa by Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit (2018-2020).
Acknowledged as one of the best arbitration practitioners (‘national leader’) by Who’s Who Legal: France (2016-2021).
Recommended as one of “Arbitration Future Leaders – Partners” in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration (2017-2018).
Acknowledged as a ‘Global Leader’ by Who’s Who Legal and Global Arbitration Review (2019-2021).
Acknowledged as a ‘Thought Leader’ by Who’s Who Legal and Global Arbitration Review (2021).
Recommended as arbitrator by The Roster of International Arbitrators, published by the Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law of Columbia University Law School, edited by Professors Hans Smit, Thomas E. Carbonneau and Loukas Mistelis (2014-2021).
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS – ARBITRAL PANELS
In addition to being admitted as an attorney-at-law (avocat à la Cour) to the Paris Bar (Ordre des Avocats du Barreau de Paris), Eliseo Castineira is a member of various arbitral institutions / arbitral panels: